Loving my hair

06:30





Loving my afro was hard in the beginning I used to perm my hair which really damaged it, and the transitioning stage from processed hair to natural hair was a nightmare. When I look at old pictures in my head I just think my hair looked so ugly, I had a mixture of straight and curly hair and it has very hard to style it as well as that I refused to do the "Big chop". I didn't want to have super short hair.

Afro hair is hard to deal with however, I feel that in general all hair types would be hard to deal with, and we will never be satisfied with what are type of texture is like. For example in the hair world my hair is classed as a "4C" and its SO KINKY. I do not even bother combing it or brushing it as it times , it is one of the things I dread doing, however when I know thats Knots galore has started I have to comb my hair  and boy it is such as task!  It feels like I am tearing my hair from my scalp even when I am going gently, so I suggest to frequently comb and brush your hair !

If you go on youtube you are fed all this type of information, use castor oil, use coconut oil your hair will go this that and the other, then you spend however much on hair products and does it work erm... Not really! I will say that moisturising your hair is very essential especially if you have really curly/kinky hair and this is something I fail to do due to my  laziness. Despite this I find that cheaper products such as Pantene works well with my hair. My hair feels so soft and for the first time I was actually able to tie back my hair hair with the aid of some Eco styler gel and it looked good !

Now even though I could go and on about how much of a struggle afro hair is; I like my hair. I like the fact that my hair is springy I like the fact that I  can do different styles with my hair that are cool that does not involve heat. I feel like in todays society we are made to feel a certain way about not just our looks our hair, for example that have straight hair is the most beautiful, and certain models who are of my skin tone end up having to wear weaves or relax/ perm their hair to fit into the ideology of what a model should look like. I find Maria Borges  inspiring, she is a model who has worked for many designers and has also walked in the  Victoria Secret fashion show 4 years in a row, I love the way she just embraces her natural fro and rocks it so well. I would like to see that different types of hair embraced more #naturalbeauty, instead of designers taking hair  from different cultures and trying to appropriate it without it any giving it acknowledgment!

Loving your fro can also become hard when you have someone telling you that your hair looks like a mushroom, this is the sort of things that can make  some girls want to perm there hair. Negative words also affects your self esteem,  and leaves you speechless. We can joke about it around with our friends later but it dose not change the fact that words hurt; as humans we do not know tend to realise how the words that you say can affect someone else.

So to my curly haired friends out there and my afro friends love your hair, it's what makes you unique and stand out from everyone else, try not to let negative words put you down and instead try and put that negative energy into something positive. When ever someone decides to say something rude about your hair just say thanks and turn away with a smile, they wont expect it. It will also stop them from saying something negative to you again. This is something that I try to do which is hard, I know but it works. 

#positivevibesonly


Stay beautiful
ELIZABETH XOX



You Might Also Like

0 comments